The Cathedral Shop is maintained and operated by the Cathedral, but our volunteers are behind its success. We welcome new members to our ministry from within the Cathedral community as well as throughout the diocese. There are a number of opportunities including:
Do one or more of these areas interest you? If so, please consider serving in our ministry. Questions? Stop by the shop or contact the store manager anytime. Some frequently asked questions:
Is retail experience necessary to volunteer?
- Cashiers -- Working in one or two person shifts, volunteers greet customers, assist with purchases and ring up sales. Volunteers may serve as often as desired, however we ask for a minimum of two shifts per month to stay familiar with procedures and inventory. We have an immediate need for more cashiers to ensure our posted shifts are covered.
- Receiving -- These volunteers assist with opening boxes, verifying shipment against packing slips and entering receipt into inventory software.
- Stocking -- Once the boxes are verified, volunteers verify correct selling price and barcode in system, print price tags and place merchandise out for sale.
- Marketing -- We are always looking for ways to improve our marketing in the Catholic community of Central Texas, inviting visitors from out of town and other parishes to shop with us. The marketing committee is responsible for delivering seasonal Mass schedules to local hotels and businesses and meets two to three times per year to discuss our marketing plan.
- Content Advisors -- Keeping our inventory fresh and relevant to the needs of our customers is important. This group of individuals assists the store manager with suggestions for new items and parishioner needs on an ongoing basis. This can range from reviewing periodic articles from vendors to sharing ideas mentioned in other ministry meetings to meeting with potential vendors from the local Catholic community.
- Office Assistant -- This person assists the store manager with general office duties including organization of invoices, sending payments to vendors, returning customer phone inquiries and filing.
Not at all! All training is provided and new volunteers are paired up initially with experienced members to ensure you are comfortable with your position.
How is shift scheduling handled?
We use an online scheduling program called MySignUp.com. You select which shift(s) you want to work and can make changes anytime if a conflict arises. Both regular and special shifts (for Cathedral events or seasonal sales) are posted on the schedule. Some choose to keep a regular schedule while others enjoy the flexibility of different shifts from week to week. You may also select to only serve with another volunteer present if wanted.
When is training?
Training is provided through group class instruction, individual partnering with the store manager or other volunteers and ongoing newsletters to volunteers with tips and updates. A detailed procedure manual is also posted in the shop for quick reference.
How do I sign up?
If you are new to volunteering in the Austin Diocese, you will need to complete a volunteer application and attend an Ethics and Integrity in Ministry
workshop prior to training. Visit the Get Involved
page for details. If you are currently involved in other ministries at the Cathedral, contact the store manager.