Assists with distribution of Holy Communion. Selection by application and appointment. Open to confirmed members of our community. Training provided.
A one time one-hour training then two hours every month
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are asked to serve two weekend Masses a month
Approximate number of members:
Most successful events:
The busiest times to serve are during the Christmas, Lenten and Easter seasons.
You might be interested if:
You have a deep appreciation and love for the Eucharist and are in good standing with the Catholic Church.
Little known fact:
You have frequent opportunities to serve with the bishop throughout the year as he often celebrates Mass at the Cathedral!
Qualifications for EMs
- Fully initiated and practicing members of the Catholic Church
- Attend Mass regularly
- Give positive witness to the Christian life
- Knowledgeable of the Order of the Mass
- Show reverence for the sacredness of the Body and Blood of Christ by their manner of dress and decorum while assisting at liturgy
- Be fully aware of the manner of preparation, distribution and disposition of the Body and Blood of Christ
- Participate in a training program
- Be approved for commissioning by the Diocese of Austin
- Be commissioned at a parish liturgy
If you feel called to serve as an EM, begin the application process by submitting:
- Copy of your Confirmation certificate
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Completed EM application
to the director of volunteer ministry, via fax (512-476-8799) or mail.
Back to Ministry Opportunities