The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults – Adapted for Children (RCIA-A)
is a spiritual journey of conversion in which children become full members of the Catholic Church. It follows the stages of the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA), but in a manner adapted for the understanding and maturation of children ages 7-14.
RCIA-Adapted for Children is for children 7 years of age or older who:
Classes are offered from 10:45 to 11:45 a.m. on Sundays in the Cathedral School building.
- Have not been baptized, OR
- Were baptized as infants but never catechized, OR
- Were validly baptized, but into a non-Catholic faith community.
- First Year: Enroll and attend RE classes at the young person’s grade level.
- Second Year: Formal enrollment in RCIA-A (Sacramental preparation classes).
Required documents for child:
- Completed application
- Birth Certificate
- Certificates of sacraments received
Non-parishioner: Permission for your child(ren) to enroll in the Saint Mary Cathedral CFF program from your pastor is required. Print a copy of the required form in English or Spanish.
- A mandatory parent meeting will be held to review requirements for the sacrament your child will receive.
- A mandatory godparent meeting will be held to review requirements for the sacrament your godchild will receive.
- Parents, we ask that you assist us in preparing your child for his / her sacrament by practicing the Act of Contrition with your son or daughter as well as how to examine his/her conscience before going to Reconciliation in the future.
- Parents are always welcome to attend your child’s class.
- Children will be required to attend two mandatory retreats and a rehearsal to help assist them in understanding what is expected of them and to prepare them for the sacrament.