Teach your Child about the Sacrament of Reconciliation
1 Explain to your child that Reconciliation is a Sacrament of healing in which our sins are forgiven and in which we are reconciled with God and the Church.
2 Explain that Jesus granted the apostles and their successors (priests) the authority to forgive and retain sins.
3 Teach child that God is a loving merciful Father who is waiting for us in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
4 Teach child how to make an examination of conscience and have them make an examination of conscience at the end of the day as part of their night prayer.
5 Make sure your child learns and memorizes their Act of Contrition (Family Prayer booklet) and that they understand Reconciliation as a way of preparing their soul to receive Jesus in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist.
6 Take your child for a tour of the confessional.
7 Emphasize that the priest will never tell anyone their sins.
Review the Rite of Reconciliation with your child
1 Teach child to make an examination of conscience before going to confession.
2 Enter Confessional, kneel and do the Sign of the Cross.
3 Greet Father and say, “Bless me Father for I have sinned. This is my first Confession.”
4 Confess sins.
5 Priest will talk to child.
6 Child recites Act of Contrition.
7 Priest assigns penance.
8 Absolution of sins.
9 Child thanks priest, exits and does penance.
Examination of Conscience for Children
1) When I make choices, do I sometimes forget about what God wants me to do?
2) Do I pray everyday? Do I pay attention at Mass?
3) Do I try to see God in others?
4) Do I listen to my parents and teachers or do I ignore them?
5) Have I made fun of my brothers and sister or my classmates?
6) Am I selfish at school? Or do I share what I have with others?
7) When I am angry, do I say or do things to hurt whoever has hurt me?
8) Do I say, “I’m sorry” to the person I have hurt and “I forgive you” to the person who has hurt me?
9) Do I play fair or do I ever cheat at school or games?
10) Have I taken something that does not belong to me?
11) Do I tell the whole truth? Or do I lie about things to not get in trouble?
12) Am I jealous of what other people have or do I appreciate all that God has given me?
13) Do I try to do my best in school?
14) Do I thank God for the gifts and talents He has given me?