The mission of the Ministry of Ushers at the Cathedral of Saitn Mary is that of hospitality. Our service is making parishioners and guests feel welcome and comfortable as we gather for our Eucharistic celebration. Our ushers are able to see the presence of Christ in each person as they arrive.
This ministry is open to all parishioners: men and women, senior citizens, parents and teenagers. Ushers are friendly people who welcome all ages and nationalities. Their faith enables them to see Christ's presence in individuals and in the gathered community of believers. Ushers are honest and dependable. They can handle emergency situations with courage and composure. They carry a dignity about themselves even when performing menial tasks. Those
- Greet parishioners as they enter for worship
- Select a family to make the Offertory presentation to the priest during Mass.
- Assist in the seating of parishioners and guests
- Maintain the climate control system during Mass
- Distribute the weekly bulletin to parishioners and visitors at the end of Mass
- Take up the Offertory collection
- Wish everyone a good day at the conclusion of the celebration of Mass
- Straighten up the church after Mass, collecting excess bulletins and papers left behind in the pews
- Handle emergency situations with courage and composureAssists the assembly during the liturgy with greeting, seating, collection and answering of all questions. Training provided.
Usually about 1.5 hours per Mass. This includes 15 minutes before Mass, during Mass, and after Mass as well, assisting in straightnenig up the pews.
You might be interested if:
You can assist during, before and after Mass by greeting, assisting in seating, collection, the communion line, handing out the bulletin and filing hymnals away.
: Provided by working alongside experienced Ushers. *The Diocese of Austin requires all minsters of hospitality and individuals who may be in contact with children and vulneravle adults to attend a basic 3 hour Ethics in Ministry Course. You may complete a volunteer application by going to
. You may contact the Cathedral office if you need assistance accessing the site.
Little known fact:
There is no experience required and you do not have to serve every Sunday.
Back to Ministry Opportunities